MBTA - Baker's Brook Bridge
"The last link in the Fitchburg line was opened in 1845. Originally constructed with a single track, construction of the second track was completed in 1849. Passenger service was never a priority of the line owing to the rural situation; instead, the railroad's primary function was as a low-grade route from Boston through western Massachusetts to the Hudson. When it became likely that the New York Central was going to acquire the Boston and Albany and offer direct access to Boston, the Fitchburg opted to become part of the Boston and Maine system through a lease arrangement in 1900.
The concrete arch bridge has two barrel vaulted arches and carries 4 tracks, 2 of which appear to be siding tracks. The field notes prepared inconjunction with 1916 Valuation plan for the Fitchburg line of the Boston & Maine Railroad suggests that the bridge incorporates the masonry abutments and wingwalls of the original 1845 bridge at the crossing (the masonry is dated in 1916 as being 71 years old). The span itself, however, is reinforced concrete and dates to 1913. The wooden trestle approach spans once associated with the masonry and reinforced concrete arch bridge were "renewed in 1915"."
-P.K. Lazrus, MBTA Historical Property Survey Phase II, 11/1987
- June 17, 2015: New Street View added by Ian Martin