B&A - Webster Branch Bridge
View of the truss from the grade crossing between the P&W Norwich Branch and North Main Street.
Photo taken by Erich Pfistner in August 2015
License: Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY)
BH Photo #336848
Former Boston & Albany Webster branch crossing over the French River and the P&W (former NYNH&H) Norwich Branch. Per the Massachusetts Historical Commission, the original bridge consisted of a lattice deck truss over the river and a lattice through truss over the NH line. The river span has been replaced at least twice, most recently circa 1936, with the present deck plate girder construction. The through truss shows evidence of being moved here from another (unknown) location and was originally at ~150' long 13 panel truss.
- Abandoned lattice through truss bridge over French River and P&W Norwich Branch on B&A Webster Branch (abandoned)
- Webster, Worcester County, Massachusetts
- Built 1888, rebuilt 1916 and 1936, abandoned 1958
- - Boston & Albany Railroad (B&A; BA)
- New York, New Haven & Hartford Railroad (NH)
- Providence & Worcester Railroad (PW)
- Lattice through truss span over the P&W and two deck plate girder spans over the French River
Length of largest span: 108.0 ft.
Total length: 225.0 ft.
- Also called
- B&A - Bridge No. 371
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.06575, -71.87869 (decimal degrees)
42°03'57" N, 71°52'43" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 19/261828/4661086 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 61886 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- June 20, 2019: New Street View added by Nathan Holth
- August 31, 2015: New photos from Erich Pfistner
- January 1, 2015: Updated by Ian Martin: Added historical details
- July 24, 2014: Added by Ian Martin