Northern Avenue Bridge
Looking Northeast Toward Northern Ave. Swing Bridge. Boston Tea Party Ship At Ahchor In Foreground
Photo taken for the Historic American Engineering Record
View photos at Library of Congress
BH Photo #228240
The Northern Avenue Swing Bridge, built in 1908, is one of only three surviving swing bridges built by the city of Boston in the late 19th and early 20th century. Today, still operated infrequently on its original compressed-air system, it is the only operable bridge in Boston of its type. The bridge is 80 feet in width, encompassing between four sets of pin connected trusses, two sidewalks, two roadways and a center lane reserved for a double-track freight railroad. The swing span is 283 feet in length. The rim bearing swing span is carried by a 40 foot diameter drum, in turn supported by 56 steel wheels running on a track along the rim of the granite island pier.
-- Historic American Engineering Record
- Pratt through truss bridge over Fort Point Channel on Northern Avenue
- Boston, Suffolk County, Massachusetts
- Intact but closed to all traffic
- Future prospects
- scheduled for demolition in March 2016 by order of U.S. Coast Guard
- Built 1908, rehabilitated 1979, closed to vehicles 1997, closed to pedestrians 2014
- Swing Pratt through truss
Length of largest span: 278.9 ft.
Total length: 636.2 ft.
Deck width: 56.1 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.35447, -71.04947 (decimal degrees)
42°21'16" N, 71°02'58" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 19/331209/4691168 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Boston South
- Inventory number
- BH 51789 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 12/1995)
- Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Appraisal: Structurally deficient
Sufficiency rating: 20.0 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 1995)
- June 28, 2016: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Pin-connected"
- January 22, 2016: Updated by Elliott Johnson: Noted planned demolition
- February 16, 2015: Photos imported by Dave King
- November 12, 2013: New Street View added by J.P.
- March 21, 2012: Added by James Baughn
- HAER MA-37 - Northern Avenue Swing Bridge, Spanning Fort Point Channel at boundary between Boston & South Boston, Boston, Suffolk County, MA
- Historicbridges.org - by Nathan Holth
- Douglas Butler
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Elliott Johnson - elliottsgon15 [at] hotmail [dot] com