"The 1916, two-track deck plate girder bridge fabricated by the Phoenix Bridge Company, one of the most prolific and long-lived manufacturers in the country, was built on the original Midland Railroad Company right-of-way. The 11-mile local line from Islington (W. Dedham) to Boston was never a financial success, and after many reorganizations, it became part of the vast New York, New Haven, and Hartford system in 1898.
The present stringer deck plate girder was installed by the New Haven Railroad, and it replaces the 1889 bridge that was not strong enough to handle the increased weight of rolling stock which had become dramatically heavier during the late-1890's and early-1900's. The replacement of girder bridges in the 1900-1915 era was common. The bridge does not exhibit any unusual technical features and is both historically and technically representative of the period."
Massachusetts Historical Commission (Mary E. McCahon, MBTA Historic Property Survey, 11/1987)