Far view of the Tobin Bridge
Photo taken by Zachery in June 2012
BH Photo #252492
As a note, the 1524' length only accounts for the cantilevered main spans. With the approaches included, the bridge is 9418' long.
- Through truss bridge over Mystic River on US 1 in Boston
- Chelsea, Suffolk County, Massachusetts
- Open to traffic
- Built 1950
- - Bethlehem Steel Co. of Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
- J. E. Greiner Co. of Baltimore, Maryland & Chicago, Illinois (Designer)
- Cantilevered Warren through truss with all verticals
Length of largest span: 800.9 ft.
Total length: 1,524.0 ft.
Deck width: 36.1 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 16.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.38361, -71.04861 (decimal degrees)
42°23'01" N, 71°02'55" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 19/331358/4694402 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Boston North
- Average daily traffic (as of 2007)
- Inventory numbers
- MA B16017 (Massachusetts bridge number)
BH 19463 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of November 2009)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 55.8 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- November 15, 2017: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added categories "Cantilevered truss", "Cantilevered"
- November 14, 2017: New photo from Christopher Finigan
- February 16, 2015: Photo imported by Dave King
- August 21, 2013: Updated by Nathan Holth: Added Designer.
- April 12, 2013: New photo from Zachery
- December 7, 2011: New Street View added by James Baughn