Bacon Street Railroad Bridge, South Elevation
Photo taken by Ian Martin in March 2015
BH Photo #318946
"The four track, ballasted deck, thru plate girder bridge was one of nineteen bridges erected in 1911 by the Boston and Albany Railroad under the supervision of Francis B. Freeman, Chief Engineer and William F. Steffens, Engineer of Bridges and Structures.
The steel in this structure is now almost totally encased in concrete. As built, it was framed with five parallel riveted plate girders which support encased, closely spaced, rolled section floor beams. The girders are spaced at 13 feet on center. Abutments and bridge seats are constructed of coursed, quarry-faced granite ashlar, but have been extended with concrete. Wing walls on south are granite; on the north, of concrete."- Massachusetts Historical Commission (Peter Stott, MBTA Historic Property Survey Phase II, 03/1988)