Commercial Avenue Bridge
1907 span crossing the Lechmere Canal on Commerical Avenue (now known as Edwin Land Blvd). Originally designed by the Scherzer Rolling Lift Bridge Co. and built by Boston Bridge Works. In 1938, 5' was added to either side, the main girders were relocated, andthe wooden deck was replaced with steel grating. In 1974, the bridge was fixed in the closed position. Replaced in 1986 with the current structure.
- Lost deck plate girder bridge over Lechmere Canal on Commercial Avenue
- Cambridge, Middlesex County, Massachusetts
- No longer exists
- Built 1907; major rebuild 1938; fixed closed 1974; replaced 1986
- - Boston Bridge Works of Boston, Massachusetts (1907 builder)
- Cleverdon, Varney & Pike of Boston, Massachusetts (1938 designer)
- F.W. Byron Metal Co. (1938 builder)
- Scherzer Rolling Lift Bridge Co. of Chicago, Illinois (1907 designer)
- Deck plate girder bascule
Length of largest span: 41.0 ft.
Total length: 82.5 ft.
Deck width: 50.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.36852, -71.07391 (decimal degrees)
42°22'07" N, 71°04'26" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 19/329234/4692776 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 61957 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 22, 2015: Updated by Ian Martin: Fixed GPS, merged MACRIS data
- July 25, 2014: Added by Douglas Butler