Swamp Locks Pedestrian Bridge
This bridge is the last crossing downstream on the Merrimack Canal, one of the many canals that knife through downtown Lowell. The bridge carries pedestrians over the canal in front of the Swamp Locks Gatehouse, which provides a set of locks and a waterfall to negotiate a drop in the canal.
According to some older locals, this bridge reportedly replaced a hand-operated single-leaf bascule bridge at this location, although no official recent sources can confirm this.
- Pratt pony truss bridge over Merrimack Canal on Canalway Trail
- Lowell, Middlesex County, Massachusetts
- Open to pedestrians only
- Pratt pony truss bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.64230, -71.31553 (decimal degrees)
42°38'32" N, 71°18'56" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 19/310169/4723693 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 80614 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- February 26, 2018: New Street View added by Amanda