Mystic Valley Parkway Alewife Brook Bridge
Alewife Brook Bridge - Oblique from NW corner
Photo taken by Ian Martin in May 2015
BH Photo #324026
Heavily reconstructed 2011-13. It appears that the original arches have been preserved, but all of the concrete on the spandrel walls has been replaced.
"Among the earlier of the 157 concrete arch bridges (of at least 20' span) in the MassHighway bridge database; one of a very large group (55 of the 157) dating from the first decade of the 20t h century. One of a group of four handsomely detailed and structurally unusual concrete arches designed by the Metropolitan Park Commission and built between 1906 and 1908 on/over its Mystic River Reservation drive/Mystic Valley Parkway. In engineering terms, it displays an interesting early use of precast concrete elements, used here in a manner directly imitative of traditional masonry construction. Visually, a simple, neo-classical design, distinguished by its precast details and by the textural contrast between the precast elements and the monolithic surfaces. Sightly deteriorated, and with one stretch of iron guardrail replaced. Located in a somewhat neglected and altered parkland setting. An original element of the Mystic Valley Parkway component of the NR-eligible 'Metropolitan Park System of Greater Boston.'"
-S.J. Roper, 10/1999
- Closed-spandrel arch bridge over Alewife Brook on Mystic Valley Parkway
- Somerville, Middlesex County, Massachusetts
- Open to traffic
- Built 1908; reconstructed 2013
- - James H. Fannon
- Closed-spandrel arch
Span length: 40.0 ft.
Total length: 40.0 ft.
Deck width: 36.1 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.41457, -71.13253 (decimal degrees)
42°24'52" N, 71°07'57" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 19/324535/4698010 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2018)
- Inventory numbers
- MA A10014 (Massachusetts bridge number)
BH 67400 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of June 2018)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 95.6 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- May 5, 2015: New photo from Ian Martin
- May 3, 2015: New Street View added by Ian Martin