Minuteman Commuter Bikeway - Mill Brook Arch
Mill Brook Arch - South portal looking NW
Photo taken by Ian Martin in April 2015
BH Photo #322817
Stone arch culvert carrying Mill Brook under the former B&M Lexington Branch, now the Minuteman bike path. Only the west/south face is visible; at some point in the 1940s or 50s the culvert was extended northeast.
"Construction of the Lexington and West Cambridge Railroad, running between the connection with the Fitchburg Railroad at West Cambridge and Lexington Center, was completed on September 1, 1846. The line was operated by the Fitchburg Railroad. An extension of the line from Lexington to Concord was completed in 1873. Passenger service on this line ended in 1977, and the track has been removed in many places. The right-of-way is currently
being rebuilt as the Minuteman Bike Trail.
This stone arch bridge has filled, ashlar spandrel walls, stepped wing walls, and uniformly-shaped voussoirs. The base of the arch wall has been encased in concrete. Between the crown of the arch and the tracks is a layer of fill approximately 30 feet deep."
-Charles Scott, MBTA Historical Property Survey Phase II, 12/1987
- Stone arch bridge over Mill Brook on Minuteman Commuter Bikeway
- Arlington, Middlesex County, Massachusetts
- Open to pedestrians only
- Built ca 1890
- - Boston & Maine Railroad (B&M; BM)
- Stone arch
Length of largest span: 10.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.41807, -71.15629 (decimal degrees)
42°25'05" N, 71°09'23" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 19/322590/4698448 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 67090 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 18, 2015: Added by Ian Martin