Rating:
No votes cast

Prescott Yard Bridge over Eastern Canal

Photos 

Teetering Penstock & Foot Trestle

Photo by weirdpix

License: Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs (CC BY-NC-ND)

View this photo at panoramio.com

BH Photo #323735

Map 

Description 

Spanning the Eastern Canal, south of East Merrimack Street, the Prescott Yard Railroad Bridge was built to connect the Prescott Storehouses with the main millyard. Since the initial development of the millyard, this site has been occupied by a railroad bridge, the first one of which may have been a wooden bridge of Towne-lattice-truss construction (See Fig. 3 of Prescott Manufacturing Company—General History). The present bridge, perhaps only the second on this site, probably dates from 1890 when the old Prescott Storehouse was demolished and replaced by a large storehouse. By 1911, the present bridge is shown on the millyard's Insurance Survey (See Figs. 1 & 9 of Prescott Manufacturing Company—General History). Changes made to the bridge include the replacement of its original granite abutments with concrete (ca. 1923) and the removal of the railroad tracks which once crossed it (ca. 1930). - Lowell Cultural Resources Inventory

Facts 

Overview
Warren pony truss with all verticals bridge over Eastern Canal on Pedestrian Path
Location
Lowell, Middlesex County, Massachusetts
Status
Open to pedestrians only
History
Built ca. 1890-1911, railroad tracks removed 1930
Railroad
- Rail-to-trail
Design
Warren pony truss with all verticals
Approximate latitude, longitude
+42.64453, -71.30741   (decimal degrees)
42°38'40" N, 71°18'27" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
19/310842/4723922 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Lowell
Inventory number
BH 65797 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • June 30, 2016: New photos from Ian Martin
  • April 29, 2015: Photo imported by Ian Martin
  • February 1, 2015: Added by Ian Martin

Sources