ST - West Main Street Overpass
West Main Street Railroad Bridge
Photo taken by Ian Martin in January 2015
BH Photo #311564
The Peterborough & Shirley Railroad was incorporated in 1845, opening for public use from Groton Junction (now Ayer) to West Townsend in January 1848, and to the state line during the year 1850. In 1847, prior to its opening, the line was leased to the Fitchburg Railroad. The Fitchburg itself was acquired by the Boston & Maine Railroad in 1900. The Greenville Branch as far as the NH line was purchased by the MBTA from the B&M in 1976. Originally 23.00 miles, Ayer, Mass. to Greenville, New Hampshire, today the single track line is in service from Ayer only as
far as Vose (West Groton).
The thru plate girder span, along with the companion span over Mill Street, were both constructed in 1897 by the Edge Moor Bridge Works, of Wilmington, Delaware. The 55-foot length of the West Main Street span makes it the longest of the four plate-girder bridges on the Greenville Branch.
-P.H. Stott, MBTA Historical Property Survey Phase II, 12/1987
- January 2, 2015: New Street View added by Ian Martin