Bridge Street Bridge
Significance in Design
Written by Christopher Finigan
On my first day in Massachusetts, my mother and I drove to Lowell from Boston, and after driving across the Aiken Street Bridge, we drove across the Central Bridge. As we were crossing, I noticed that there are Pratt truss variations in addition to the Warren characteristics. This bridge may well be a Warren truss. However, it could possibly be a Warren/Pratt truss hybrid or at least a Warren truss with Pratt characteristics. It would be great to know for certain.
- Through truss bridge over Merrimack River on Bridge Street in Lowell
- Lowell, Middlesex County, Massachusetts
- Open to traffic
- Built 1937
- - American Bridge Co. of New York
- J.R. Worchester of Boston, Massachusetts
- Cantilevered Warren through truss
Length of largest span: 196.9 ft.
Total length: 474.1 ft.
Deck width: 40.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.5 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Central Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.64819, -71.30508 (decimal degrees)
42°38'53" N, 71°18'18" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 19/311044/4724323 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numbers
- MA L15019 (Massachusetts bridge number)
BH 19353 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 05/2014)
- Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Appraisal: Functionally obsolete
Sufficiency rating: 58.8 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2014)
- February 10, 2017: Updated by Will Truax: Added alternate name
- September 9, 2016: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- August 10, 2016: Essay added by Christopher Finigan
- July 14, 2016: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Riveted"
- January 4, 2015: New photo from Luke
- February 22, 2011: New Street View added by Frank Hicks
- March 16, 2010: Updated by Joshua Collins: made slight adjustment to gps coordinates