Rating:
No votes cast

MBTA - South Canal Bridge

Map 

Street View 

Description 

The deck plate girder bridge was built as a four-track span in 1907 by the New England Structural Company, according to the Interstate Commerce Commission (ICC) reports from 1915-17. The north span was removed and scraped in 1944. The present northernmost track was new in 1927 or 1929. Only one track is currently in use. - Massachusetts Historical Commission (P.K. Lazrus, MBTA Historical Property Survey, 11/1987)

Facts 

Overview
Abandoned deck plate girder bridge over South Canal on M&L Branch (owned by MBTA)
Location
Lawrence, Essex County, Massachusetts
Status
Derelict/abandoned
History
Built 1907 by the New England Structural Co.
Builder
- New England Structural Co. of Boston, Massachusetts
Railroads
- Boston & Maine Railroad (B&M; BM)
- Commuter Rail
- Guilford Rail System (GRS)
- Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA)
- Springfield Terminal Railway (ST)
Design
Deck plate girder
Dimensions
Length of largest span: 60.0 ft.
Total length: 66.0 ft.
Also called
B&M - M&L Branch Bridge No. 0.25
B&M - M&L Branch Bridge No. 190
Approximate latitude, longitude
+42.70005, -71.16377   (decimal degrees)
42°42'00" N, 71°09'50" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
19/322776/4729776 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Lawrence
Inventory number
BH 65820 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • February 2, 2015: New Street View added by Ian Martin