South Union Street Bridge
South Union Street North Canal Bridge
View beside the bridge from northwest quadrant
Photo taken by Nick Boppel in July 2020
BH Photo #478404
This small concrete tee beam bridge serves as an approach to the much larger Duck Bridge. The current North Canal crossing at this location dates to 1939, when it opened as a replacement for a previous bridge dating to 1860 (even older than the Duck Bridge). It is not known what design the previous bridge at this location was built to.
- Concrete tee beam bridge over North Canal on South Union Street
- Lawrence, Essex County, Massachusetts
- Open to traffic
- Built 1939 to replace previous bridge of unknown design dating to 1860
- Concrete tee beam
Length of largest span: 72.2 ft.
Total length: 76.1 ft.
Deck width: 34.1 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +42.70629, -71.15340 (decimal degrees)
42°42'23" N, 71°09'12" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 19/323642/4730448 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory numbers
- MA L04004 (Massachusetts bridge number)
BH 90207 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- August 9, 2020: New photo from Nick Boppel
- Nick Boppel - nickboppel01 [at] gmail [dot] com