NH - Cape Cod Canal Bridge
Photo taken by Douglas Butler
BH Photo #263660
Norfolk Southern Railroad Bridge
A twin of the first Strauss Heel trunnion bascule Bridge constructed in 1910 in Bourne Massachusetts, this bridge is located in Ashtabula Ohio constructed in 1911 by the Strauss Bascule bridge Company and fabricated by the Pennsylvania Steel Company. This bridge still remains in service.
Play video on YouTube
This first Strauss Heel Trunnion bascule bridge has 2 ac motors of 65 horsepower according to the speed was decelerated to it's fully raised or closed position, this span has a counterweight with a rivet steel plate shell around it the struts which attaches to the counterweight bridge tower when raised the shaft is toward the center line of the span. this span was in heavy use until 1935 when the Strauss heel trunnion was replaced with a vertical lift bridge.
- November 23, 2016: New video from Douglas Butler
- February 22, 2016: New photo from Douglas Butler
- January 26, 2016: New photo from Douglas Butler
- March 3, 2015: New photo from Douglas Butler
- October 29, 2014: New photo from Douglas Butler
- October 25, 2014: New photo from Douglas Butler
- July 29, 2014: New photo from Douglas Butler
- July 10, 2014: New photos from Douglas Butler
- June 11, 2014: New photos from Douglas Butler
- January 15, 2014: New Street View added by Luke Harden
- January 15, 2014: Updated by Nathan Holth: Added builder.
- August 20, 2013: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- August 18, 2013: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- August 15, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Corrected reporting mark
- August 15, 2013: Added by Douglas Butler