Rating:
No votes cast

Old Thompson Creek Bridge

Photo 

Original Thompson Creek Bridge

From the Morning Advocate, Baton Rouge, "New Method of Bridge Repair Being Used," March 25, 1954, Page 17-A

BH Photo #373550

Map 

Description 

Bridge was one of the first major bridges constructed for road traffic in Louisiana in 1923 along the original Bayou Sara Road (current US 61). it was rehabilitated in 1954 before being replaced by a concrete structure in 1962. The bridge was then moved to Polly Creek in West Feliciana Parish on Plettenger Road.

Facts 

Overview
Lost Bridge over Thompson Creek on US 61
Location
West Feliciana Parish, Louisiana, and East Feliciana Parish, Louisiana
Status
Replaced by a new bridge in 1962, demolished in 1963. Replacement span was itself replaced in 1985
History
Built 1923 as one of the first bridges by the Louisiana Highway Commission, rehabilitated in 1954, replaced in 1962
Approximate latitude, longitude
+30.74743, -91.28567   (decimal degrees)
30°44'51" N, 91°17'08" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
15/664102/3402867 (zone/easting/northing)
Inventory number
BH 74848 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • December 22, 2016: Added by M. D. Caillet