Magnolia Garden Bridge
Magnolia Bridge over Bayou St. John
Photo taken by C Hanchey in May 2011
BH Photo #199687
Originally built in 1886 by the Smith Bridge Company. The bridge was moved in April 1909 from its original location on Esplanade Avenue to make room for the construction of a new bridge there. The new site was at that time the location of a pleasure resort called the Magnolia Garden, and the bridge was immediately known as the Magnolia Garden Bridge (it also replaced an existing foot bridge there). The work was carried out for around $30,000 by the Penn Bridge Company, who were also erecting the new Esplanade Avenue bridge.
Notable improvements over the years include: streetcar track added to bridge in April 1897 to connect the Esplanade line with City Park; after being moved to its present location, the bridge was rehabbed by the WPA in 1936; another repair project occurred in 1961; restoration for pedestrian use occurred in 1989.
- Pratt through truss bridge over Bayou St. John at Harding Drive
- New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana
- Open to pedestrians
- Built in 1886 by the Smith Bridge Company; moved to present location in 1909; restored for pedestrian use in 1989
- - Carnegie Steel Co. of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania (Iron/Steel Manufacturer)
- Penn Bridge Co. of Beaver Falls, Pennsylvania (Removal and Relocation)
- Smith Bridge Co. of Toledo, Ohio (Fabricator)
- Works Progress Administration (Rehabilitator)
- Swing pin-connected Pratt through truss
- Also called
- Harding Drive Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +29.98097, -90.08876 (decimal degrees)
29°58'52" N, 90°05'20" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/780897/3320245 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- New Orleans East
- Inventory number
- BH 48086 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- October 18, 2019: Updated by Tony Dillon: Added original fabricator
- April 28, 2017: Updated by Roger Collins: Added details.
- November 20, 2016: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- January 23, 2013: New photos from Anthony DelRosario
- June 26, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Added categories "Navigable waterway", "Pin-connected"
- May 22, 2011: New photos from C Hanchey
- February 9, 2011: Added by James Baughn based on tip from Mary-jo Webster