Chef Menteur Pass Bridge
Swing Through Truss Birdge over Chef Menteur Pass
Photo taken by Bob Davis on May 3, 2009
BH Photo #139728
Opened to traffic on September 11, 1929 following its dedication by Governor Huey P. Long.
The original gravel western approach closely followed Bayou Sauvage and made a 90-degree turn onto the bridge. This was relocated onto the current paved alignment in 1934.
- Through truss swing bridge over Chef Menteur Pass on US 90 in New Orleans
- New Orleans, Orleans Parish, Louisiana
- Open to traffic
- Built 1929
- - E.L. Erickson (supervising engineer)
- Louisiana Highway Commission
- Three span polygonal Warren swing through truss
Length of largest span: 269.9 ft.
Total length: 1,174.5 ft.
Deck width: 20.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.2 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +30.06770, -89.80446 (decimal degrees)
30°04'04" N, 89°48'16" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/229646/3329603 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Chef Menteur
- Average daily traffic (as of 2016)
- Inventory number
- BH 19065 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of February 2018)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 23.7 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- February 15, 2020: Updated by Roger Collins: Opening date, realignment of approach.
- February 21, 2015: New photos from James Baughn
- September 26, 2014: New photo from Irma Hale
- March 23, 2013: New photo from David Backlin
- July 8, 2010: New photo from Nathan Morton
- April 19, 2010: New Street View added by Nathan Holth
- May 3, 2009: New photo from Bob Davis
- Bob Davis - bobdaviscfi [at] earthlink [dot] net
- Nathan Holth
- Nathan Morton - morton890 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- David Backlin - us71 [at] cox [dot] net
- Douglas Butler