Rating:
1 vote

Amite River US 190 Bridge (WB)

Photos 

Driving across

BH Photo #109097

Map 

Description 

The third bridge across the Amite River at Denham Springs was built in 1932 a few hundred yard downstream from its predecessors, requiring a slight relocation of US 190.

The 1932 bridge was converted to carry only westbound traffic after a parallel span for eastbound traffic was built in 1961. Both bridges were replaced as part of a project that began in 2007. The 1932 (westbound) span was imploded on October 22, 2009 after completion of the current westbound span.

Facts 

Overview
Through truss bridge over Amite River on westbound US 190 at Denham Springs
Location
Livingston Parish, Louisiana, and East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana
Status
Replaced by a new bridge
History
Built 1932, replaced 2009
Design
Parker through truss
Dimensions
Length of largest span: 249.9 ft.
Total length: 1,452.7 ft.
Deck width: 23.9 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 15.3 ft.
Also called
Long-Allen Bridge
New Benton Ferry Bridge
Approximate latitude, longitude
+30.46426, -90.99024   (decimal degrees)
30°27'51" N, 90°59'25" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
15/692947/3371946 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Denham Springs
Inventory number
BH 19061 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • March 17, 2020: Updated by Roger Collins: Added description text.
  • May 5, 2010: New Street View added by David Backlin
  • October 22, 2009: Updated by Kim Harvey: Bridge Imploded October 22, 2009
  • April 14, 2009: Updated by David Backlin: Scheduled for replacement 2011
  • March 26, 2009: New photo from David Backlin
  • March 24, 2009: Updated by David Backlin
  • September 27, 2007: Posted photo from David Backlin

Related Bridges 

Sources 

Comments 

Amite River US 190 Bridge
Posted October 21, 2009, by Derek Pinsonat (dspinso [at] cox [dot] net)

This bridge was demolished today, 21 Oct 2009, with explosives.

Amite River US 190 Bridge
Posted December 7, 2007, by Karen Pinsonat

This bridge is scheduled to be replaced in 2008.