Photo taken by David Backlin in November 2013
BH Photo #271852
Replaced an earlier bridge built in 1898 and destroyed by fire on August 2, 1934. A temporary bridge was installed days later. The permanent bridge began construction in December 1935 and cost $136,000 (split between the highway departments of Texas and Louisiana).
The bridge was officially opened to traffic on December 17, 1936. It served as part of US 84 until being demolished in 2016 to accommodate construction of the westbound span of its replacement, which was completed in May 2017.
- Haunched deck plate girder bridge over Sabine River on US 84 at Logansport
- Logansport, De Soto Parish, Louisiana, and Shelby County, Texas
- Built 1936; replaced 2016
- - John F. Buckner of Cleburn, Texas (Contractor)
- Virginia Bridge & Iron Co. of Roanoke, Virginia (Fabricator) [also known as Virginia Bridge Co.]
- Haunched deck plate girder
Length of largest span: 125.0 ft.
Total length: 873.1 ft.
Deck width: 23.6 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +31.97233, -94.00623 (decimal degrees)
31°58'20" N, 94°00'22" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/404925/3537811 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Logansport West
- Average daily traffic (as of 2015)
- Inventory number
- BH 19000 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of August 2015)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 14.7 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- March 5, 2020: Updated by Roger Collins: Added dates and description text.
- March 5, 2016: Updated by David Backlin: Updated status to Lost/Replaced per Facebook post
- January 21, 2016: Updated by David Backlin: Closed pending demolition & replacement
- January 13, 2014: Updated by David Backlin: Updated Status to Doomed
- December 11, 2013: New photo from David Backlin
- May 3, 2010: New Street View added by Nathan Holth
- May 3, 2009: Added by Rick Mattioni
- Rick Mattioni
- HAER TX-47 - Sabine River Bridge, Spanning Sabine River at U.S. Route 84, Joaquin vicinity, Shelby County, TX
- Nathan Holth
- David Backlin - us71 [at] cox [dot] net