Monkey Island Ferry
Site of ferry landing, looking from Cameron toward Monkey Island
Photo taken by Patrick Feller
License: Creative Commons Attribution (CC BY)
View this photo on Flickr
BH Photo #284580
In 1993, I took the ferry from Cameron over to Monkey Island. After passing a few buildings on Louisiana Highway 1141 on the island, at the Calcasieu River, I photographed dolphins swimming to stay in place while the tidal current brought food to them.
I didn't photograph the little ferry, later destroyed, with all structures on the island, by Hurricane Rita, in 2005.
- Lost Ferry carrying La Hwy 1141 across Calcasieu Pass
- Cameron, Cameron Parish, Louisiana
- No longer exists
- Destroyed by Hurricane Rita in 2005
- Ferry crossing
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +29.79664, -93.32998 (decimal degrees)
29°47'48" N, 93°19'48" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/468109/3296297 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numer
- BH 61140 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- June 2, 2014: Updated by Roger Deschner: Added category "Destroyed by storm"
- May 31, 2014: Added by Patrick Feller