Sabine River US 190 Bridge
Bon Weir Bridge (February 1972)
The original bridge spanning the Sabine River on US 190, shown during a dispute over the location of the Texas-Louisiana state line.
The Times-Picayune, February 9, 1972, sec. 1, p. 10
BH Photo #468609
The first highway bridge between Bon Weir, Texas and Merryville, Louisiana was constructed by the Austin Bridge Co. in 1930-31. The cost of $180,000 was split three ways between the federal government and the states of Texas and Louisiana. The bridge was formally opened on July 4, 1931 and was referred to in its early years as the Bon Weir Bridge.
The bridge became part of US 190 when that route was extended west from Baton Rouge, Louisiana over existing state highways in the summer of 1935.
It was replaced with the current bridge, constructed immediately to the south, in 1981.
- Lost steel truss bridge over Sabine River on US 190
- Beauregard Parish, Louisiana, and Newton County, Texas
- Replaced by a new bridge
- Built 1931; replaced 1981
- - Austin Bridge Co. of Dallas, Texas/Atlanta, Georgia
- Reinforced concrete and steel construction. Two main spans with 24' roadway.
Deck width: 24.0 ft.
- Also called
- Bon Weir Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +30.74726, -93.60823 (decimal degrees)
30°44'50" N, 93°36'30" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/441781/3401750 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 88670 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- March 23, 2020: New photo from Roger Collins
- March 22, 2020: Added by Roger Collins