KCS - Atchafalaya River Bridge
View on top of LA 1 bridge looking North towards railroad bridge
Photo taken by John T. Dauzat
BH Photo #164188
This bridge has a "legend" of being haunted due to a train collision near it in August of 1951 where 8 people died. The bridge also carried auto traffic until the new bridge was built in 1971.
Written by James Rhed
Two 300 foot truss spans were added to the bridge on the West side of the river in 1938 to allow the cross section of the Atchafalaya River to be increased.
- June 12, 2019: Updated by Clark Vance: Added category "Harrington & Cortelyou"
- October 17, 2017: New photos from Jeff Dubea
- March 31, 2017: New Street View added by Cliff Darby
- February 28, 2017: Essay added by James Rhed
- December 22, 2016: New photo from M. D. Caillet
- December 12, 2015: New Street View added by Douglas Butler
- June 16, 2014: New photo from Douglas Butler
- January 2, 2013: Updated by Jared Mixson: Added additional info
- May 19, 2010: New Street View added by Cliff Darby
- May 5, 2010: Added by John T. Dauzat