Historic Georgetown/SCAC, Inc
Scott County Royal Springs Park and Arts & Cultural Center anchor the highway from the Kentucky State Capital on either side of an amazing 200 year old dry-stack stone bridge to welcome the community and visitors to site of the first settlement in 1774, and the site of the ca. 1892 Scott County Jail Complex, now entering Phase 2 of 3 for the Scott County Arts & Cultural Center.
Sometimes the very problem of being in a wonderful community is that we miss treasures we see every day. An amazing dry-stack stone bridge carries you across Royal Spring Creek. Royal Springs was discovered in 1774 by surveyor John Floyd and William Nash. This spring is just as vital in 2011 as it was in the late 1700‘s. It is still the main entrance to our community at it’s birthplace.
Most people have no idea the bridge is there, but one has existed for over 200 years connecting what was then known as George Town to Frankfort, the state capital. Elijah Craig, a busy man, making paper, building bridges, preaching, and creating Bourbon, settled this tract in 1786. He is credited with being the builder of all of the original bridges we cross over in Georgetown today. The Royal Springs bridge was laid stone by stone beginning in 1800. A 1904 book states that “The work is about as perfect as it could have been done with stone.”