Whiteburg Pedestrian Path - North Fork Kentucky River Bridge
current pedestrian bridge, Whitesburg KY
Photo taken by Bob Lawrence in April 2012
BH Photo #228869
This is one of about 4 identical deck girder bridges built by the Virginia Iron and Bridge Company of Roanoke for use as crossings of the North Fork of the Kentucky River in and around Whitesburg KY. I cannot find a reference as to when this line went out of service and was pulled up.
- Deck plate girder bridge over North Fork of Kentucky River on pedestrians
- Whitesburg, Letcher County, Kentucky
- Open to pedestrians
- Bridge, double rail line, was constructed by the Virginia Iron and Bridge Company of Roanoke as one of a series of these deck girder bridges for the L&N railroad
- - Virginia Bridge & Iron Co. of Roanoke, Virginia [also known as Virginia Bridge Co.]
- - Louisville & Nashville Railroad (L&N; LN)
- Deck plate girder
Total length: 96.0 ft.
Deck width: 15.0 ft.
- Also called
- L&N North Fork Kentucky River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +37.11753, -82.82178 (decimal degrees)
37°07'03" N, 82°49'18" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 17/338147/4109462 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- 1190 ft. above sea level
- Inventory number
- BH 51921 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- November 1, 2013: New Street View added by J.P.
- April 1, 2012: Added by Bob Lawrence