NS - Pope Lick Creek Viaduct
Photo taken by J.P.
BH Photo #193547
Supposed home to a legendary "monster":
"The monster’s origin stories are as varied as its name. To hear the Sierra Club tell it, the Pope Lick Monster was 'exhibited as a circus freak in the late 19th century, escaping captivity when lightning struck the circus train and left him the lone survivor.' In 2014, local historian David Domine described the creature as something born out of a deal with the devil. He told Louisville’s WAVE news that: 'The goat man arose as a tale of a local farmer back in the day. Tortured a herd of goats for Satan and signed a contract with him and forfeited his soul.' Domine depicts a muscular being that’s 'part goat maybe even part sheep.'
In every telling, the Goatman remains fiercely attached to the trestle over Pope Lick Creek. 'The Sheepman is something only told around here; it’s been around at least three generations,' filmmaker Ron Schildknecht told Louisville paper The New Voice in 1990. Schildknecht created a 16-minute short, “The Legend of the Pope Lick Monster,” that appears to come straight from the yarns a young Kentuckian might spin to impress a date — a part-sheep satyr that can hypnotize its victims, leaving them helpless in front of oncoming trains."
- Deck plate trestle over S. Pope Lick Road on Southern Railroad
- Jefferson County, Kentucky
- Open to traffic
- Built 1925
- - Norfolk Southern Railway (NS)
- Southern Railway (SOU)
- Deck plate girder trestle
Length of largest span: 51.8 ft.
Total length: 810.1 ft.
- Also called
- Southern - Pope Lick Creek Viaduct
Pope Lick Trestle
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.19194, -85.48806 (decimal degrees)
38°11'31" N, 85°29'17" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/632401/4228192 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory numer
- BH 47399 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 26, 2016: Updated by Alexander D. Mitchell IV: Added news reoprts about legend of "monster" at bridge
- April 2, 2015: Updated by Clark Vance: Added category "Haunted"
- February 14, 2011: New photos from J.P.
- December 26, 2010: Added by J.P.
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Alexander D. Mitchell IV