Sherman Minton Bridge
Photo taken June 2005 by James Adorno
BH Photo #103323
The bridge was named the most beautiful long-span bridge of 1961 by the American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC).
- Double Decker Two-span steel through arch bridge over Ohio River on I-64 between New Albany and Louisville in Louisville
- Louisville, Jefferson County, Kentucky, and Floyd County, Indiana
- Open to traffic
- Built 1961; rehabilitated 1997 and 2011/12; closed on September 9, 2011 due to cracks in the main load-bearing structural element; reopened on February 17/18, 2012
- - Burgess & Niple of Columbus, Ohio
- Steel through arch main span
warren deck truss approach spans
Length of largest span: 800.0 ft.
Total length: 2,052.9 ft. (0.4 mi.)
Deck width: 42.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 16.3 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.27842, -85.82143 (decimal degrees)
38°16'42" N, 85°49'17" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/603084/4237363 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- New Albany
- Inventory numbers
- KY 056-B00279N (Kentucky bridge number)
BH 18841 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 11/2015)
- Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Appraisal: Functionally obsolete
Sufficiency rating: 47.0 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2014)
- July 4, 2017: Updated by Matthew Hill: Minor fixes
- February 18, 2017: New photo from Daniel Barnes
- September 25, 2016: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- August 2, 2014: New photos from Andrew Raker
- July 10, 2014: New photo from Andrew Raker
- July 9, 2014: New photos from Andrew Raker
- June 29, 2014: New Street View added by Ralph Demars
- February 17, 2012: Updated by J.P.: Bridge is reopened
- October 8, 2011: New photo from J.P.
- October 8, 2011: Photos imported by Luke Harden
- September 15, 2011: Updated by J.P.: added builder
- September 9, 2011: Updated by Joseph Nield: Bridge closed by order of Indiana Governor after inspections uncovered cracks in load bearing portion of structure.
- June 30, 2010: New photo from J.P.
- April 15, 2010: New Street View added by J.P.
- November 16, 2008: Updated by Kim Harvey: approach spans warren truss
- October 12, 2008: New photo from Rick Mattioni
- August 11, 2008: Updated by Bob Fish
- October 10, 2005: Posted photo from James Adorno