Kentucky & Indiana Bridge
Photo taken June 2005 by James Adorno
BH Photo #103322
Built to replace an earlier bridge opened in 1886, the current structure was built in 1911-1912 with a vehicular deck opening in 1913. The northbound vehicular portion was closed in 1979 after a portion collapsed. Employees of the company are still allowed to use the South Bound Lane to get across the river. CSX uses the bridge today. In the past it had been used by B & O, Monon and Southern. It was built with a swing span but only opened for traffic twice. In 1955 it was permanently "Locked down" and fixed shut. The bridge is 100 ft above river pool level.
- September 9, 2016: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added categories "Pin-connected", "Riveted"
- September 9, 2016: New photo from Dave King
- January 18, 2015: Updated by Luke: Added category "Interurban"
- August 2, 2014: New photos from Andrew Raker
- July 9, 2014: Updated by Andrew Raker: Updated to reflect the Sherman Minton Bridge being reopened; NS stopped allowing its crews to use the bridge during that shutdown
- July 1, 2014: New Street View added by Ralph Demars
- September 24, 2013: Updated by Luke Harden: Added other city
- January 4, 2013: Updated by James McCray: Added category "US 31"
- September 21, 2011: Updated by James McCray: Updated status description of bridge to show that it is open to limited use of vehicles.
- September 20, 2011: Updated by J.P.: Bridge is opened to company workers going southbound only.
- June 30, 2010: New photos from J.P.
- April 15, 2010: New Street View added by J.P.
- March 28, 2010: Updated by Ed Hollowell: Added Information
- February 22, 2010: Updated by J.P.: Bridge builder and added plaque pictures from indiana side of bridge.
- February 21, 2010: New photos from J.P.
- December 21, 2008: New photos from Nathan Morton
- May 28, 2008: New photos from Joe Virruso
- October 10, 2005: Posted photo from James Adorno
- James Adorno
- Joe Virruso - virrusofamily [at] att [dot] net
- Nathan Morton - morton890 [at] yahoo [dot] com
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Ed Hollowell - erhollowell [at] aol [dot] com
- James McCray - jamesinslocomb [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Andrew Raker
- Douglas Butler
- Dave King - DKinghawkfan [at] hotmail [dot] com