Photo taken 2005 by Chris Light
BH Photo #103309
Note: This bridge technically is not in the state of Indiana due to the way the state line follows an old alignment of the river. However it is being shown as a Kentucky and Indiana bridge for clarity as many people think of this as an interstate bridge.
According to a 1937 article there are 97 spans in the 1932 bridge with 47 in the "bridge proper". The traffic lanes are 30 foot wide with a two foot walkway. "The idea of constructing a bridge to replace the inadequate ferry was so popular with the people of Vanderburgh county that they put up a sum of money equivalent to one-fourth the cost of construction. The remaining portion of Indiana's half was supplied by the state itself, Kentucky furnishing the remainder." Total cost was $2,142,876 for the 1932 bridge said Bob Schaub in "EVANSVILLE-HENDERSON SPAN" in the March 1948 "Outdoor Indiana".
- Pair of cantilevered through truss bridges over the Ohio River on US 41. Rehabilitated 2008
- Henderson County, Kentucky, and Vanderburgh County, Indiana
- Open to traffic
- Northbound bridge built 1932; southbound built 1965
- - American Bridge Co. of New York (Superstructure)
- Kansas City Bridge Co. of Kansas City, Missouri (Substructure)
- Modjeski & Masters of Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania (Design)
- Ralph Modjeski of Bochnia, Poland (Design)
- Rieth-Riley Construction Co. (Unknown Role)
- Warren Cantilevered through truss
Length of largest span: 720.0 ft.
Total length: 5,393.6 ft. (1.0 mi.)
Deck width: 29.8 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 19.8 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- John James Audubon Bridge (original official name)
Bi-State Vietnam Gold Star Twin Bridges (current official name)
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +37.90417, -87.55056 (decimal degrees)
37°54'15" N, 87°33'02" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/451599/4195325 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Evansville South
- Average daily traffic (as of 2017)
- Inventory numbers
- KY 051-B00002R (Kentucky bridge number)
IN 14202 (Indiana bridge number)
BH 18816 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of August 2018)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 58.8 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- February 15, 2022: New photos from Bambi Sharkoman
- November 15, 2021: Updated by Nathan Holth: Added builders per period news articles (Evansville Courier, Evansville Press)
- September 29, 2021: New photo from Melissa Brand-Welch
- February 11, 2021: New photo from Mike Daffron
- January 14, 2019: New photo from Melissa Brand-Welch
- August 7, 2017: New photos from Jack Schmidt
- March 25, 2017: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added categories "Pin-connected", "Riveted"
- March 25, 2017: New photos from Mike Daffron
- January 12, 2013: New photos from Robert Thompson
- November 15, 2011: Updated by J.P.: Added Bridge Design
- June 30, 2011: Updated by James Simmons: I added vanderburgh county. I know its technically all in henderson county, but many people from evansville are likely to search it from vanderburgh. This will make it easier for them to find it.
- September 1, 2010: Updated by Ed Hollowell: Modjeski and Masters added so it would match catigory
- August 23, 2010: Updated by Ed Hollowell: Added Builder and discrtption information.
- March 14, 2010: Updated by Bill Eichelberger: Added Google Street View.
- February 23, 2010: Updated by J.P.: The indiana state line starts about a half mile after the bridge so its only in henderson county kentucky
- February 23, 2010: Updated by Kim Harvey: added county: Vanderburgh
- March 31, 2009: New photos from James McCray
- March 29, 2009: New photo from J.P.
- August 21, 2006: Posted photos from Chris Light