Simon Bolivar Buckner memorial bridge
The old Munfordville bridge in the background as it existed in 1938, immediately after completion of the new Simon Bolivar Buckner memorial bridge in the foreground
University of Louisville Special Collections/Louisville and Nashville Railroad Records
View this photo at special.library.louisville.edu
BH Photo #189954
The Google Street View is from Washington Street on the north side of the river. With the bridge lost, N. Washington simply dead ends just short of the slope.
An interesting feature of this bridge is that it did not have a southern approach. It was abutted onto the side of a ridge and intersected with a road that followed the old Buffalo trace from a river ford several hundred feet upriver. It was necessary to turn right onto the road immediately upon exiting the southern end of the bridge.
Operated as a toll bridge by local government for several years, the bridge was taken over by the state and continued to operate as a toll bridge until it was incorporated into the US Highway system as US-31W in 1928.
- Lost Parker through truss bridge over Green River on L&N Turnpike/Dixie Highway
- Munfordville, Hart County, Kentucky
- Toll bridge on the Louisville and Nashville Turnpike replacing Amos Ferry at Big Buffalo Crossing
- - Munfordville Bridge Co.
- 9-panel, pin-connected Parker through truss main span, flanked by two 5-panel, pin-connected Pratt through trusses, one on each side
Length of largest span: 164.0 ft.
Total length: 1,170.0 ft.
- Also called
- L&N Turnpike
Green River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +37.26633, -85.88922 (decimal degrees)
37°15'59" N, 85°53'21" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/598488/4124995 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 47253 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- December 23, 2012: Updated by James McCray: added this bridge to the s bridge category
- December 7, 2010: Updated by Mike Page: Toll system removed 1928 with US Highway status.
- December 6, 2010: Updated by Matthew Lohry: Updated truss types
- December 6, 2010: Added by Mike Page