3 votes

Bridges to the Past (Bridge #1)


Historic L&N Turnpike

The three stone arch bridges on the Bridges to the Past walking trail are among the oldest bridges in KY. The bridges are apart of the old L&N Turnpike which stretched from Louisville to Nashville and were constructed between 1837-1849. The L&N Turnpike was a toll road at least to the KY/TN line and helped to serve troops of both sides during the Civil War. The Turnpike would mostly be taken over by the Dixie Highway and US 31, respectively. Today, a section of the Turnpike has been completely restored and is known as the Bridges to the Past walking trail. The trail is located about a mile south of West Point, KY on Fort Knox, but is open to the public. The entire trail is on the National Register of Historic Places. For pictures/info on the remaining two bridges see Bridges to the Past (Bridge #2) and Bridges to the Past (Bridge #3).

Photo taken by James McCray


Request this photo

BH Photo #112827



Stone arch bridge over East Fork Tioga Creek on the "Bridges to the Past" walking trail, a restored section of the old L&N Turnpike (Old Dixie Hwy/US 31) in Fort Knox
Fort Knox, Hardin County, Kentucky
Open to pedestrians
L&N Turnpike chartered by KY government in 1829. Construction of L&N Turnpike began in 1837 including bridges and completed in 1849. Placed on National Register of Historic Places in 1996.
Stone arch
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places
Approximate latitude, longitude
+37.96394, -85.96042   (decimal degrees)
37°57'50" N, 85°57'38" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
16/591318/4202323 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Fort Knox
Inventory number
BH 36357 (Bridgehunter.com ID)

Update Log 

  • December 13, 2011: Updated by James McCray: Added category "Civil War"
  • January 2, 2009: Updated by James McCray: Updated GPS coordinates
  • March 12, 2008: Added by James McCray


  • James McCray - jamesinslocomb [at] yahoo [dot] com