One can call this bridge the "Old" Old Camp Nelson Bridge. The Camp Nelson Covered Bridge is the first of three bridges crossing the Kentucky River on US 27 (See Old Camp Nelson Bridge information and pictures). The bridge was a 240' long double barreled covered bridge built in 1838. Union troops during the Civil War used this bridge and the bridge continued to remain in use until 1926 when a truck fell through its floorboards. A new bridge, the "Old Camp Nelson Bridge," was built the same year and this bridge was closed to traffic. Efforts were made to save this bridge, but proved futile, and in 1933 the bridge was demolished. All that remains of the Camp Nelson Covered Bridge are its stone approaches and a preserved facade on its northern approach. The bridge that replaced this bridge was also replaced by a new bridge in 1972. The "replacement" bridge currently sits abandoned next to the ruins of the Camp Nelson Covered Bridge.
Built 1838 by Lewis Wernwag and survived the Civil War. Bridge was closed to traffic in 1926 when a truck broke through the bridge's deck. The bridge was demolished in 1933 and all that remains are the approaches and a facade on the north approach.
Total length: 240.0 ft.
Approximate latitude, longitude
+37.76974, -84.61718(decimal degrees) 37°46'11" N, 84°37'02" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
USGS topographic map
BH 36347 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
June 30, 2010: New photo from Andrew Hansford
September 29, 2008: New photo from James McCray
July 29, 2008: Updated by James McCray
March 4, 2008: Updated by James McCray
James McCray - jamesinslocomb [at] yahoo [dot] com