Glover Cary Bridge
Although this bridge often is called the "Glover Cary Bridge," the bridge's only official name is the one it was given when it opened in 1940: Owensboro Bridge.
The Owensboro entrance to the bridge features a "stack" of three plaques that were placed there when the bridge opened. The smallest of these, on the bottom of the stack, notes that the bridge was "Dedicated to the Memory of Glover H. Cary." But the bridge was never named for Cary.
A photograph of the plaques is in the photo gallery for the bridge.
- Through truss bridge over Ohio River on IN 161 (formerly US 231) at downtown Owensboro
- Daviess County, Kentucky, and Spencer County, Indiana
- Open to two-lane traffic
- Opened Sept. 1940
- - Modjeski & Masters of Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
- Works Progress Administration
- Cantilevered Warren through truss
Length of largest span: 750.8 ft.
Total length: 4,622.8 ft. (0.9 mi.)
Deck width: 22.0 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.4 ft.
- Also called
- Owensboro Bridge
Blue Bridge (unofficial nickname)
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +37.78083, -87.10917 (decimal degrees)
37°46'51" N, 87°06'33" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/490386/4181504 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Owensboro East
- Inventory numbers
- KY 030-B00118N (Kentucky bridge number)
BH 18758 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 06/2015)
- Deck condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Appraisal: Functionally obsolete
Sufficiency rating: 44.1 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2011)
- August 9, 2017: New photos from Jack Schmidt
- September 28, 2016: New Street View added by Dana and Kay Klein
- April 20, 2015: New photos from Adam
- October 29, 2011: Updated by J.P.: add builder and engineers along with build date which was not listed.
- October 1, 2011: New photos from James Baughn
- April 9, 2010: New Street View added by Nathan Holth
- March 14, 2010: Updated by Bill Eichelberger: Added Google Street View.
- April 16, 2009: Updated by C Hanchey
- May 28, 2008: New photos from James McCray
- James McCray - jamesinslocomb [at] yahoo [dot] com
- C Hanchey - cmh2315fl [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Bill Eichelberger
- Nathan Holth
- James Baughn - webmaster [at] bridgehunter [dot] com
- J.P. - wildcatjon2000 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Dana and Kay Klein
- Jack Schmidt - jjturtle [at] earthlink [dot] net