Lakewood Park Bridge
Photo taken by Jack Schmidt
BH Photo #272516
Confirmation - bridge is extant
Written by Robert Elder
Google Earth confirms that this bridge is extant. Intstead of being demolished, it was moved a few blocks upstream where it carries a pedestrian path that leads to Lakewood Middle School.
I drove across this bridge several years ago when it stood at the entrance to Lakewood Park. I had to be in Salina in 2008 and thus returned to the park to photograph the bridge. Because the bridge had been removed and replaced by a modern bridge, I assumed it had been demolished despite its NRHP listing. Consequently, I changed its status to lost.
I have not visited the bridge since it was relocated, but I now know its location and have updated this page accordingly.
- Through truss bridge over Smoky Hill River on Lakewood Drive in Salina
- Salina, Saline County, Kansas
- Relocated to Lakewood Park Middle School where it serves as a pedestrian bridge.
- Built 1887 by the Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Works
- - Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Works of Leavenworth, Kansas [also known as Missouri Valley Bridge & Iron Co.]
- Pratt through truss
Span length: 99.1 ft.
Total length: 99.1 ft.
Deck width: 15.4 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 17.5 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on June 9, 2004
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.84452, -97.59307 (decimal degrees)
38°50'40" N, 97°35'35" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 14/622097/4300463 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2013)
- Inventory numbers
- NRHP 04000579 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 18499 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of August 2017)
- Overall condition: Good
Superstructure condition rating: Very Good (8 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Good (7 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 98.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- January 3, 2018: Updated by Christopher Finigan: Added category "Pin-connected"
- December 27, 2017: Updated by Dana and Kay Klein: Added category "Othmar H. Ammann Nominee"
- January 6, 2014: New Street View added by Luke Harden
- January 5, 2014: New photos from Luke Harden
- March 12, 2010: Essay added by Robert Elder
- June 8, 2009: Updated by Robert Elder
- February 27, 2008: Updated by Robert Elder
- Robert Elder - robertelder1 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Jack Schmidt - jjturtle [at] earthlink [dot] net