Branch Brown's Creek Bridge
Branch Brown's creek bridge
Watch out for the electric fence.
Photo taken by Mike LeMasters in October 2010
BH Photo #181891
The Brown’s Creek Tributary Bridge is a three-span stone arch bridge. Each span is twelve feet in length. All stones are uniform in thickness, which is approximately 8”. They vary in color from tan to gold and most have noticeable striping. The stones feature two different finishes, rusticated and smooth. They are laid in an ashlar pattern. There is a single course of smooth faced stones that corresponds to the level of the driving surface and spans the length of the bridge. The arch stones are smooth faced and each has a keystone. The stones are relatively smooth finished on the underside of each barrel. Some tool marks are present.
The foundation is also of stone construction. Based on previous experience with the demolition of other similar bridges, it is estimated that the foundation extends three to four feet under the surface. The arches spring from these foundation footings. A 16” soil/gravel fill covers each arch to distribute the vehicle loads. The walls extend three courses above the driving surface, serving as bridge rails. As was typical of the era, the wings are at a 45° angle to the bridge and stair-step down from the top of the rail.
- Stone arch bridge over a branch of Brown's Creek, 3.2 mi. east and 3.8 mi. north of Glen Elder
- Mitchell County, Kansas
- Open to traffic
- Built 1936
- - Works Progress Administration
- Stone arch
Length of largest span: 12.1 ft.
Total length: 46.9 ft.
Deck width: 20.7 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 25, 2014
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.55362, -98.22683 (decimal degrees)
39°33'13" N, 98°13'37" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 14/566425/4378500 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Glen Elder North
- Inventory numbers
- KS 000620723203620 (Kansas local bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
NRHP 14000438 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 18145 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 02/2015)
- Sufficiency rating: 86.2 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2002)
- August 9, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added builder & NRHP info
- October 10, 2010: New photo from Mike LeMasters