North Rock Creek Bridge
North Rock Creek Bridge
Photo taken by Mike LeMasters in October 2010
BH Photo #181903
The North Rock Creek Bridge is a two-span stone arch bridge. Each span is fifteen feet in length. All stones are uniform in thickness, which is approximately 8”. They vary in color from tan to gold and most have noticeable striping. The stones feature two different finishes, rusticated and smooth. They are laid in an ashlar pattern. There is a single course of smooth faced stones that corresponds to the level of the driving surface and spans the length of the bridge. The arch stones are smooth faced and each has a rusticated keystone. The stones are relatively smooth finished on the underside of each barrel. Some tool marks are present.
The foundation is also of stone construction. Based on previous experience with the demolition of other similar bridges, it is estimated that the foundation extends three to four feet under the surface. The arches spring from these foundation footings. An 8” soil/gravel fill covers each arch to distribute the vehicle loads. The walls extend two courses above the driving surface, serving as bridge rails. As was typical of the era, the wing walls are at a 45° angle to the bridge and stair-step down from the top of the rail.
- Stone arch bridge over North Rock Creek on V Road, 2.0 mi. north and 4.4 mi. east of Hunter
- Mitchell County, Kansas
- Open to traffic
- Built 1934
- - Works Progress Administration
- Stone arch
Length of largest span: 15.1 ft.
Total length: 38.0 ft.
Deck width: 21.3 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 25, 2014
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.26333, -98.31389 (decimal degrees)
39°15'48" N, 98°18'50" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 14/559190/4346223 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Blue Hill
- Average daily traffic (as of 2002)
- Inventory numbers
- KS 000620715404020 (Kansas local bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
NRHP 14000439 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 18164 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of February 2017)
- Overall condition: Good
Sufficiency rating: 83.2 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- October 2, 2015: Updated by David Backlin: Added Road Name
- August 9, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added builder & NRHP info
- October 11, 2010: New photo from Mike LeMasters