Antelope Creek Bridge
Antelope Creek Bridge
The date on the bridge doesn't match up with Bridgehunter's data but this is what I found at the location listed.
Photo taken by Mike LeMasters in October 2010
This Antelope Creek Bridge is a two-span stone arch that spans Antelope Creek, each span being 16 feet in length. All stones are uniform in thickness, which is approximately 8”. They vary in color from tan to gold and most have noticeable striations. The stones feature two different finishes, rusticated and smooth. They are laid in an ashlar pattern. There is a course of smooth stones that corresponds to the level of the driving surface and spans the length of the bridge. The arch stones are smooth faced except for the keystones, which are rusticated. The stones are finished smooth on the underside of each barrel.
The foundation is also of stone construction. Based on previous experience with the demolition of similar bridges, it is likely that the foundation extends 3 feet to 4 feet below the surface. The arches spring from these foundation footings. A 16” soil/gravel fill covers each arch to distribute the vehicle loads. The walls extend 3 courses above the driving surface, serving as bridge rails. As was typical of the era, the wings are at a 45° angle to the bridge and stair-step down from the top of rail. [NRHP form]
- Stone arch bridge over Antelope Creek, 2.2 mi. north and 10.0 mi. east of Tipton
- Mitchell County, Kansas
- Open to traffic
- Built 1940
- - Works Progress Administration
- Stone arch
Length of largest span: 16.0 ft.
Total length: 35.1 ft.
Deck width: 25.9 ft.
Posted to the National Register of Historic Places on July 25, 2014
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.36667, -98.28333 (decimal degrees)
39°22'00" N, 98°16'60" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 14/561736/4357712 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Blue Hill
- Inventory numbers
- KS 000000000620320 (Kansas local bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
NRHP 14000437 (National Register of Historic Places reference number)
BH 18144 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection (as of 02/2015)
- Sufficiency rating: 88.2 (out of 100)
- Average daily traffic (as of 2002)
- August 9, 2014: Updated by Dave King: Added builder & NRHP info & corrected date
- October 11, 2010: New photo from Mike LeMasters