Bartel Farm Bridge
Photo taken by Nick Schmiedeler in September 2017
BH Photo #401486
Originally spanning Doyle Creek on Wagonwheel Road Southwest of Florence, this 5-panel Pratt through truss was moved to the Bartel Family Farm to spare it from demolition. According to sources in the town of Florence it was built in 1887 possibly by the Kansas City Bridge & Iron Company, and historic photos of it do exist. The Bartel's are planning to do some work on the bridge and possible move it once again to a public location a couple miles to the Southwest in the town of Goessel.
Information provided by Nick Schmiedeler
KSHS Page for this bridge documented at it's original location:
- Pratt through truss bridge currently sitting on dry land at the Bartel Farm just east of Hillsboro
- Marion County, Kansas
- - Kansas City Bridge & Iron Co. of Kansas City, Missouri (Possible fabricator)
- Pinned, 5-panel Pratt through truss
Span length: 80.1 ft.
Total length: 80.1 ft.
Deck width: 16.1 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 12.0 ft.
- Also called
- Old Wagonwheel Road Bridge
Doyle Creek Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.34483, -97.17392 (decimal degrees)
38°20'41" N, 97°10'26" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 14/659577/4245653 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Land survey
- T. 20 S., R. 2 E., Sec. 2
- Inventory number
- BH 45478 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- September 2, 2017: Updated by Tony Dillon: Added new information provided by Nick Schmiedeler from his visit.
- September 2, 2017: New photos from Nick Schmiedeler
- June 12, 2010: Added by Sheldon