This route was originally the road between Fort Leavenworth and Fort Scott, Kansas, dating from the early days of Kansas statehood. This crossing has had at least four bridges during that time. There is an old abutment next to this 1929 span, along with a bypass to the east built in 1960 and another four lane alignment to the west. This iron bridge deserves better than it's getting right now and may be saved as the city expands towards it and the old US 69 becomes more popular with cyclists.
Five-span pony truss bridge over Blue River on Metcalf Place (formerly US 69)