ASV - Smoky Hill River Bridge
Photo taken by Chris Guenzler
BH Photo #292614
Likely the original bridge at this location, constructed when the Rock Island built here in 1887
A collection of nearly identical Lattice Trusses
Written by Robert Elder
The Lattice truss, with its many variations, is a common design for both metal and wooden covered bridges. Many of the metal Lattice through truss bridges, which were undoubtedly built by different firms, feature a variety of portal bracing styles.
In Kansas, the most common Lattice truss configuration is the Triple Intersectional Lattice truss. The triple intersectional layout is rare on a national scale. Unlike most Lattice trusses in Kansas, this bridge is a Quadrangular Lattice truss. This is the only known Quadrangular Lattice truss in Kansas, although on a national scale, the Quadrangular layout is much more common than the Triple Intersectional layout.
A few of these bridges, most of them in South Dakota, feature pedimented portal bracing with perforated knee bracing. I have often referred to this design by the phrase "Pedimented and Porforated Portal Bracing.
Jason Smith was able to located a plaque on the Riverdale Park Pedestrian Bridge http://bridgehunter.com/sd/minnehaha/bh36190/ which indicates that the bridge was built by M. Lassig of Chicago, Illinois. M. Lassig was likely associated with the Lassig Bridge and Ironworks, also based in Chicago.
- Lattice through truss bridge over Smoky Hill River on Abilene and Smoky Valley Railroad in Enterprise
- Enterprise, Dickinson County, Kansas
- Open to traffic
- Built Ca. 1887, Rehabilitated 2014
- - Lassig Bridge & Iron Works of Chicago, Illinois (Likely Builder)
- - Abilene & Smoky Valley Railroad (ASV)
- Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad (CRIP (1866-1920); RI (1920-1975) ROCK (1975-1980))
- Oklahoma, Kansas & Texas Railroad (OKT)
- Two span Lattice through truss
Length of largest span: 115.0 ft.
Total length: 395.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +38.90769, -97.12591 (decimal degrees)
38°54'28" N, 97°07'33" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 14/662497/4308202 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 39837 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- March 10, 2017: New photos from John Marvig
- January 27, 2015: Updated by Luke: Noted rehab per forum comment
- December 28, 2011: Updated by Robert Elder: Edited Design. This appears to be a Quadruple Intersectional Lattice Truss
- June 9, 2010: Essay added by Robert Elder
- June 8, 2010: Updated by Robert Elder: Edited Categories - bridge does not appear to be owned federally.
- February 11, 2009: Added by Robert Elder
- Robert Elder - robertelder1 [at] gmail [dot] com
- John Marvig - marvigj27 [at] gmail [dot] com