Elm Creek Kingpost Bridge
Photo taken by Nick Schmiedeler
BH Photo #443367
Long story long - discussing Kansas bridges today on an "Abandoned Kansas" Facebook page when I got into a discussion with a woman named May Smith out of Girard, Kansas who told me of some tiny bridges in her area. Without thinking much more about it, got home from work and she had set out the same day in her SUV to take photos of one of her favorites, and this is the gem!! Not sure the last "open to traffic" kingpost that turned up that was previously unknown, but this thing is an amazing survivor, all thanks to May Smith for uncovering this treasure. As always, would love any input on age, maker, particular design nuances, etc. Thanks May!!
- Kingpost pony truss bridge over Elm Creek on 610 Road
- Crawford County, Kansas
- Open to traffic
- Kingpost pony truss including outriggers, wood deck planks, built on stone block abutments.
Span length: 18.0 ft.
Total length: 18.0 ft.
Deck width: 12.0 ft.
- Also called
- May's Gem Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +37.49997, -94.94992 (decimal degrees)
37°29'60" N, 94°56'60" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/327638/4152123 (zone/easting/northing)
- Inventory number
- BH 84406 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 10, 2019: New photos from Nick Schmiedeler
- February 7, 2019: New Street View added by Mike Kerkau
- February 7, 2019: New photos from Nick Schmiedeler
- Nick Schmiedeler - nick [at] nickschmiedeler [dot] com
- Mike Kerkau - mjkerkau [at] gmail [dot] com