Cedar Vale Bridge
Photo taken by Richard With
BH Photo #103032
A two span Marsh arch over the Caney River located about ½ mile east of Cedar Vale, on old highway US 166, was built in 1930. This bridge is still being used and it provides access to Cedar Vale from the East. It is 291.9 feet long, with a deck width of 20.0 feet; the length of the longest span is 291.9 feet. It was constructed by J. S. Vance & Sons of Parsons, Kansas.
From the City of Cedar Vale site linked below
- Two-span Marsh arch bridge over Caney River on Old US 166, east of Cedar Vale
- Chautauqua County, Kansas
- Open to traffic
- Built 1930
- - J.S. Vance & Son of Parsons, Kansas
- Concrete through arch
Length of largest span: 140.1 ft.
Total length: 291.9 ft.
Deck width: 20.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +37.10608, -96.48395 (decimal degrees)
37°06'22" N, 96°29'02" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 14/723576/4109602 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Cedar Vale East
- Average daily traffic (as of 2013)
- Inventory numbers
- KS 000100911306985 (Kansas local bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 17540 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of October 2017)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Satisfactory (6 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 50.9 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- February 3, 2017: New photo from Nick Schmiedeler
- January 16, 2017: Updated by Robert Elder: Added category "Caney River"
- October 19, 2016: Updated by Robert Elder: Added category "Marsh arch (standard)"
- September 4, 2013: New photos from David Backlin
- December 7, 2012: Updated by Robert Elder: Edited Name and Overview. Cedar Vale is two words.
- December 7, 2012: Updated by Clark Vance: Added description and link to Cedar Vale site
- January 26, 2010: Updated by Robert Elder: Made slight adjustment to GPS Coordinates.
- June 10, 2007: Posted photo from Richard With
- Richard With - withrg [at] sbcglobal [dot] net
- Robert Elder - robertelder1 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Clark Vance - cvance [at] dogmail [dot] com
- Cedar Vale Attractions - City of Cedar Vale web site
- David Backlin - us71 [at] cox [dot] net
- Nick Schmiedeler - nick [at] nickschmiedeler [dot] com