Caney River Bridge
This is a pin connected, six panel Pratt through truss. Although this website list had previously the year of construction as 1930, several features of this bridge might suggest an earlier construction date. This includes the fact that it is pin connected and not riveted. This picture shows the view from the Caney River, looking west.
Photo taken by Robert Elder in February 2008
BH Photo #110806
The old Caney River iron bridge is a six panel Pratt through truss bridge built in the late 1890's. This bridge is pin-connected rather than riveted. Closed to all traffic, the bridge is located 1/2 mile east of Cedar Vale on old US highway 166, then 1/2 mile north on a gravel road. The bridge’s largest span is 98.1 ft.; the total length is 129.9 feet long.; and the deck width is 16.0 feet wide.
- Through truss bridge over Caney River, 0.5 mi. east of Cedarvale
- Chautauqua County, Kansas
- Closed to all traffic
- Built ca. 1900
- Pratt through truss
Length of largest span: 98.1 ft.
Total length: 129.9 ft.
Deck width: 16.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +37.11043, -96.48984 (decimal degrees)
37°06'38" N, 96°29'23" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 14/723039/4110071 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Cedar Vale East
- 870 ft. above sea level
- Average daily traffic (as of 2007)
- Inventory numbers
- KS 000100911006981 (Kansas local bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 17535 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of May 2007)
- Sufficiency rating: 22.5 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- February 3, 2017: New photo from Nick Schmiedeler
- May 3, 2016: Updated by Nathan Holth: Fix GPS
- August 17, 2011: Updated by Clark Vance: Added description
- March 28, 2010: Updated by Curtis Lee: Coordinates and elevation
- July 30, 2008: Updated by Robert Elder: Updated Categories.
- February 27, 2008: Updated by Robert Elder: Edited "Overview" and "Design"
- February 1, 2008: New photos from Robert Elder
- Robert Elder - robertelder1 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Curtis Lee - clee47ford [at] yahoo [dot] com
- Clark Vance - cvance [at] dogmail [dot] com
- Nathan Holth
- Nick Schmiedeler - nick [at] nickschmiedeler [dot] com