Chelsea Bridge (old)
Photo taken by Nick Schmiedeler in April 2017
BH Photo #385037
Written by Robert Elder
This bridge is commonly known as the Old Chelsea Bridge. It formerly provided access to the town of Chelsea, Kansas which has now been partially submerged by the waters of El Dorado Lake.
I do not remember this bridge being open, but I strongly suspect that it carried the old alignment of Highway 177 across the BNSF railroad. Highway 177 was re-routed with the construction of the reservoir. It now crosses an arm of the lake via the New Chelsea Bridge, which is a UCEB.
The BNSF railroad has been relocated to the north and west of the lake and roughly parallels the Kansas Turnpike/I-35 as they cross the northern end of the lake.
- Bridge over abandoned ATSF railroad on NE Cole Creek Rd
- El Dorado, Butler County, Kansas
- - Atchison, Topeka & Santa Fe Railway (ATSF)
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +37.91099, -96.76762 (decimal degrees)
37°54'40" N, 96°46'03" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 14/696245/4198289 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- De Graff
- Inventory number
- BH 48125 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- April 1, 2017: New photos from Nick Schmiedeler
- August 29, 2012: Updated by Luke Harden: Corrected BNSF to ATSF as the BNSF wasn't formed until 1996, added ATSF cat.
- April 22, 2011: Updated by Robert Elder: Edited Crosses and Overview
- February 14, 2011: Essay added by Robert Elder
- February 14, 2011: Added by Sheldon Wiens
- Sheldon Wiens
- Robert Elder - robertelder1 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Nick Schmiedeler