Walnut River Bridge
Photo taken by Robert Elder
BH Photo #110296
Often erroneously referred to the Old Mulvane Bridge. This bridge has never been near Mulvane.
- Through truss bridge over Walnut River, 0.7 mi. west and 2.0 mi. south of Douglass
- Butler County, Kansas
- Open to traffic with 6'6" height restriction.
- Built by the Wrought Iron Bridge Co.
- - Wrought Iron Bridge Co. of Canton, Ohio
- 8-panel, pinned Pratt through truss
4-panel, pinned Pratt pony
Length of largest span: 147.9 ft.
Total length: 220.1 ft.
Deck width: 14.8 ft.
Vertical clearance above deck: 14.1 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Also called
- Old Bridge from Mulvane
Walnut River Bridge
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +37.48903, -97.01997 (decimal degrees)
37°29'21" N, 97°01'12" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 14/675049/4150965 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Average daily traffic (as of 2017)
- Inventory numbers
- KS 000080855306461 (Kansas local bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 17511 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of December 2017)
- Overall condition: Fair
Superstructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 18.6 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- March 14, 2021: New video from Nick Schmiedeler
- September 14, 2018: Updated by Bryon: Pics show 6’6” height restriction and not 6’4” as previously stated here
- August 29, 2018: New photos from Nick Schmiedeler
- February 3, 2017: New photos from Nick Schmiedeler
- May 24, 2014: New photos from Robert Brock
- March 17, 2010: Updated by Robert Elder: Adjusted GPS Coordinates
- March 8, 2010: Updated by Robert Elder: Added Street View link.
- February 7, 2010: Updated by Robert Elder: Edited Status Description.
- June 9, 2009: Updated by Robert Elder: Updated Categories
- July 7, 2008: Updated by Robert Elder: Updated categories and design description
- February 28, 2008: Updated by Robert Elder: Edited "History"
- February 27, 2008: Updated by Robert Elder: Edited "Design"
- Robert Elder - robertelder1 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Rob Brock - k0pvw [dot] mobile [at] gmail [dot] com
- Nick Schmiedeler - nick [at] nickschmiedeler [dot] com