MKT - Marmaton River Bridge
Photographed from a distance using a zoom. This image has been cropped considerably.
Photo taken by Robert Elder in April 2005
BH Photo #127409
This 'Polygonal Warren Though-Truss' bridge was built in 1910 by King Bridge Company for the Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad to carry their main track across the Marmaton River. During its peak years, The line connected Dallas, TX and points south, to St. Louis and Hannibal, MO, through the busy Junction at Parsons, KS. After years of declining use after the MKT's demise in 1988, and as rail service in the area faded, the rail line and bridge were closed in 1997. The following year, the track was severed from its connecting railroad at Ft. Scott, KS, and the bridge has since been isolated.
- Parker through truss bridge over Marmaton River on Abandoned Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad
- Fort Scott, Bourbon County, Kansas
- Closed to all traffic
- Future prospects
- Likely to be reused on a pedestrian trail
- Built 1910, Abandoned 1997
- - King Bridge Co. of Cleveland, Ohio
- - Missouri-Kansas-Texas Railroad (MKT; Katy)
- Union Pacific Railroad (UP)
- Parker through truss
Length of largest span: 195.0 ft.
Total length: 290.0 ft.
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +37.84548, -94.71045 (decimal degrees)
37°50'44" N, 94°42'38" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 15/349506/4190049 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Fort Scott
- Land survey
- T. 25 S., R. 25 E., Sec. 30
- 790 ft. above sea level
- Inventory number
- BH 36319 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- March 9, 2017: New photos from John Marvig
- June 18, 2016: New photos from bill wade
- April 18, 2011: Updated by Robert Elder: Edited multiple categories to reflect that this is a Polygonal Warren through truss. Edited description to reflect this update.
- April 18, 2011: Updated by Brian Parkinson: Description Created
- November 10, 2008: New photo from Robert Elder
- February 26, 2008: Added by Robert Elder
- Robert Elder - robertelder1 [at] gmail [dot] com
- Brian Parkinson - railstoruin [at] yahoo [dot] com
- bill wade - themissouriredneckstormchaser [at] gmail [dot] com
- John Marvig - marvigj27 [at] gmail [dot] com