1 vote

Hegwald Bridge


Riveted Warren pony truss with verticals.

Photo taken by Robert Elder in February 2008


BH Photo #111204


Former location was at coordinates 37.911756, -95.399993.


Pony truss bridge over a ravine on the Backbone Trail (Lehigh Portland Trail System) in Iola
Iola, Allen County, Kansas
Open to pedestrians/bicyclists
Built 1909 by the Canton Bridge Co. over Owl Creek west of Humboldt; relocated 2014
- Canton Bridge Co. of Canton, Ohio
Warren pony truss with alternating verticals
Length of largest span: 61.0 ft.
Total length: 64.9 ft.
Deck width: 13.4 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
Approximate latitude, longitude
+37.91174, -95.40002   (decimal degrees)
37°54'42" N, 95°24'00" W   (degrees°minutes'seconds")
Approximate UTM coordinates
15/289016/4198738 (zone/easting/northing)
Quadrangle map:
Average daily traffic (as of 2006)
Inventory numbers
KS 000011019806006 (Kansas local bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 17334 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
Inspection report (as of February 2014)
Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Fair (5 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Poor (4 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 16.8 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com

Update Log 

  • September 3, 2019: Updated by James Baughn: Moved pin to current location
  • November 27, 2013: New photos from Randy Rasa
  • March 1, 2010: Updated by Robert Elder: Adjusted GPS Coordinates.
  • September 15, 2009: Updated by Robert Elder: Edited Builders
  • February 28, 2008: Updated by Robert Elder: Edited "Design"
  • February 5, 2008: New photos from Robert Elder


  • Robert Elder - robertelder1 [at] gmail [dot] com
  • Randy Rasa


Hegwald Bridge
Posted December 24, 2014, by ArtS (asuckewer [at] knite [dot] com)


Congratulations to those involved!


Art S.

Hegwald Bridge
Posted December 24, 2014, by Patrick Haire (phaire1880 [at] gmail [dot] com)

The Hegwald Bridge has been saved and moved to the site of the Lehigh Portland biking and hiking complex under construction that just S.E. of Iola, Ks. in Allen Co.

Owl Creek Bridge
Posted November 27, 2013, by Randy Rasa (rasarandy [at] gmail [dot] com)

It seems this bridge is doomed.

From an article in the Iola Register (behind a paywall) Jan 31, 2013:

"The fate of the Hegwald Bridge, or county bridge 2.8-P.6, in Humboldt has been decided. It will be demolished and replaced.

The bridge, which crosses Owl Creek west of Chanute, is eligible for Kansas Department of Transportation funding. The county will pay 20 percent of the total cost of the construction, and KDOT will pay the remaining 80 percent. According to KDOT, any bridge that receives a sufficiency rating of 50 or lower on the 100-point scale is eligible for funding ó the Hegwald bridge rated at 17.9."

And from August 28, 2013:

"See it before itís gone: Allen County crews are removing the 'Hegwald Bridge' west of Humboldt. The $694,933.50 project to replace the bridge will most likely take place at the end of 2013 or the beginning of 2014, said Bill King, director of public works."

As of November 27, 2013, the bridge is still in place, with no signs of impending demolition.