Washington Street Tippecanoe River US 24 Bridge
Photo taken by Chris Light
BH Photo #220921
This bridge survived the great tornado outbreak of 1974. Much of downtown Monticello was damaged, including the nearby Courthouse which had to be demolished and replaced. Ironically this was not the first time that had happened as old structure replaced it's own predecessor because of another tornado.
During the 74 outbreak, a small bus was swept over the side of this bridge killing 5 from Fort Wayne. One female passenger survived. The nearby Penn Central Railroad Bridge(TP&W today)lost several of it's bridge sections into the river as well.
- Lost concrete arch bridge over Tippecanoe River on US 24 in Monticello
- Monticello, White County, Indiana
- New bridge built just to the North and this bridge demolished.
- Built 1947; rehabilitated 2000, lost 2014
- Open-spandrel concrete arch
Length of largest span: 109.9 ft.
Total length: 449.7 ft.
Deck width: 29.8 ft.
Eligible for the National Register of Historic Places
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +40.74611, -86.75778 (decimal degrees)
40°44'46" N, 86°45'28" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/520449/4510601 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Monticello South
- Average daily traffic (as of 2004)
- Inventory numbers
- INNBI 005940 (Indiana bridge number on the National Bridge Inventory)
BH 17315 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- Inspection report (as of August 2013)
- Overall condition: Poor
Superstructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Substructure condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Deck condition rating: Serious (3 out of 9)
Sufficiency rating: 4.3 (out of 100)
View more at BridgeReports.com
- August 12, 2014: New photos from James Norwood
- August 5, 2014: Updated by James Norwood: Latest info regarding demolition
- June 20, 2014: Updated by James Norwood: updated status, bridge still intact as of June 2014, but closed officially with detour.
- January 8, 2013: Updated by Nathan Holth: This bridge is now doomed.
- November 27, 2011: New Street View added by James Baughn
- October 8, 2011: Photos imported by Luke Harden
- October 3, 2011: Photos imported by Luke Harden
- April 10, 2009: Updated by James Norwood: Added Washington Street to name
- April 9, 2009: New photo from James Norwood
- James Norwood
- Chris Light - CJKADJ [at] juno [dot] com
- Nathan Holth