Cardinal Greenway - Whitewater River Bridge
Photo taken by Anthony Dillon in August 2010
BH Photo #174990
Was a part of the C & O Railroad line from Richmond, Ind. to Muncie. From old footings it was not the first bridge at this site.
This bridge has a curve built in it.
- Deck plate girder bridge over Whitewater River and Sim Hodgin Parkway on Cardinal Greenway Trail (former CSX, C&O railroad)
- Richmond, Wayne County, Indiana
- Open to pedestrians
- Future prospects
- Converted rail-trail bridge
- Once part of the mighty coal hauling C&O railroad, it once hosted freights running between Chicago and coal mines in Appalachia. Later used by Amtrak's James Whitcomb Riley and later Cardinal until route was abandoned in late 1980's.
- - Unknown
- - Chesapeake & Ohio Railway (C&O; CO)
- Chessie System
- Deck plate girder
Total length: 812.0 ft.
- Skew angle
- 45 degrees
- Also called
- C&O - Whitewater River Trestle
- Approximate latitude, longitude
- +39.83732, -84.89435 (decimal degrees)
39°50'14" N, 84°53'40" W (degrees°minutes'seconds")
- Approximate UTM coordinates
- 16/680171/4411822 (zone/easting/northing)
- Quadrangle map:
- Inventory number
- BH 45987 (Bridgehunter.com ID)
- October 7, 2014: Updated by Luke: Added categories "Rail-to-trail", "Chesapeake & Ohio Canal", "Chessie System"
- August 15, 2011: Updated by James Norwood: added some railroad history
- January 3, 2011: Updated by Ed Hollowell: Added to history and discription.
- January 2, 2011: New photos from Ed Hollowell
- August 28, 2010: Added by Anthony Dillon
- Tony Dillon - spansaver [at] hotmail [dot] com
- Ed Hollowell - erhollowell [at] aol [dot] com
- James Norwood